Monday, May 25, 2009

3 Weeks in Boise, Part II

So, the main reason we stayed in Boise for as long as we did is because my baby brother, R.J., is going on his mission! In the LDS church, 19-year-old boys are expected to have lived worthily and prepared themselves to serve a Church mission for two years. During those two years, they don't do any work, schooling, visiting with family, or anything else concerning their personal lives. They spend the first part of their mission in the MTC (missionary training center) learning how to teach the gospel full-time, and then they go out into the mission field.
R.J. is the first and only missionary in our family, so it's a pretty exciting time for us! Hannah, Joshua and I were able to be there to hear him speak in Sacrament meeting, and we had a wonderful time visiting with all of the family members who came to support him that day. Because he is serving in Tempe, Arizona we also had a Mexican-themed family party for him.

The kdis had a blast with the pinata!
Hannah loves having another 4-year-old in the family, her cousin Lance.The next time we take this picture, Hannah will be 6 and Joshua will be four! (and Seth will be over 30!)

R.J. (Elder Crandall now, since he was set apart tonight) goes into the MTC this Wednesday. We are sure proud of him but I will sure miss him! I've never not seen someone in my family for two years! We are so thankful we had the opportunity to take this trip. Thanks for all the fun and the good care you still take of me, Mom and Dad! and R.J., it's probably too late for you to see this, but we love you!

4 comments:

Darlene Swapp said...

so cute Becca, looks like you all had a blast! hope to see you soon we should have a june B-day party!

Tiffany said...

Very well-written :)

Paul and Susan said...

I am happy for your family that your brother has chosen to go on a mission. That takes a lot of courage and commitment. I wish him all the best.

Erin said...

It's always so exciting to send a brother out. We lived in Provo when my brothers were in the MTC so I went to the post office every week and sent them a new batch of homemade cookies or brownies. It was my way of feeling a little closer to them when I couldn't see them. Tempe is also a great place!