Thursday, August 6, 2009

Diseased

Yessiree. Picture this...
...all over my body. I think I have six patches just on my neck. I will now share the information from the handout I got from the dermatologist. Info in parentheses is my own addition.
Pityriasis Rosea
The most important thing about this benign skin disease is to understand the following things:
1. There is no common name for it.
2. Cause is unkown. It acts like a virus in some ways but is not contagious as most viruses are. Two cases in the same family are practically never seen. (And I'm the lucky one!)
3. It is more common in the spring and fall, but it is seen the year round.
4. Usually there is a Herald or Mother Patch which looks like a "ringworm". (See above photo.) It heralds the oncoming generalized eruption of small "ringworms" by hours to weeks. The usual distribution is neck to knees. (Not true. I have at least five patches on my calves.) It is rare on the face in adults (let's hope that's true) but relatively common in children.
5. It runs a natural course of 6 weeks (unlikely) to 3 months (more likely). (BTW, the doctor guesses I'm at just under two weeks right now.)
6. It leaes no marks or scars. (Praise be!)
7. It is extremely rare to have it the second time. (I repeat...praise be!)
8. It may or may not itch. (It may. Especially on my legs.)
9. Soap aggravates. Hot water aggravates. (Sweat aggravates. Scratching aggravates. Clothing aggravates.)
10. Sunlight helps. (I'm supposed to expose the spots, unprotected, as long as I can each day wthout getting sunburned. I'm told this gets tricky as the spots dot your "unexposable" areas. But my neck at least will be really wrinkly by the time this clears up!)
So if you see me coming down the street, please do not turn and run away. I know I look scary, but I am not leprous, and you do not need to scrub yourself down with sanitizing wipes if you walk past me. Just be thankful it's me and not you!

6 comments:

Heather said...

that just totally stinks! I feel you girl- I don't have that, but I do have exzema and it is here to stay. I have a chunk of it on my arm right now, and I do believe my poor son has it as well :0( Do you find wondering why you were cursed with stretch marks and some other skin condition? I do, ALL THE TIME. Life really isn't fair some time.

Amy said...

Oh I'm so sorry! You poor thing. I bet you are just miserable! Thank goodness it's not contagious though...the only thing worse than having it would be to have to take care of two children with it. I hope it goes away sooner than later!

Ambyr said...

Oh you poor girl! I hope it only lasts 6 weeks (or less..) Also hoping you had a happy birthday. Did you get our song/ message? We're really growing up! Hope to talk soon. Xo

Paul and Susan said...

This does not sound like any fun at all. Thanks for educating all of us, just in case we should be as lucky as you!

Erin said...

I'm so sorry! That sounds like no fun at all! We'll cross our fingers over here for you that it doesn't last 3 months!

Heather Ashby said...

I totally had this on my ankle and calf like 5 years ago. Good luck!! I hope it goes away fast.